Burton at Bideford
The Burton at Bideford is over 65 years old. With its friendly team of staff and volunteers, it has been celebrating, exhibiting and nurturing all kinds of artists since being established on 31 October 1951 by local businessman Thomas Burton, and Hubert Coop, a successful artist.
The Burton at Bideford is a community venue for everyone to love and access freely and has art galleries, a shop, a French bistro café, museum, workshop rooms for hire and is Bideford’s tourist information centre.
The building itself was opened to commemorate the sad and untimely death of Burton’s daughter, Mary, who died of cancer in 1949 at the age of just 44. She was a talented artist in her own right and her father wanted the gallery to be a lasting memorial to her.
The Burton hosts a wide range of exhibitions by local, national and international contemporary artists as well as showing work from its own more traditional collection of paintings and a nationally significant collection of ceramics. It also hosts open exhibitions, events and workshops alongside a recently accredited museum featuring the Hubert Coop collection.